Get paid on-the-job training with SOMAH!
SOMAH Can Help You Become an Expert
To be a SOMAH job trainee, you must meet one of the following criteria:
- Be currently enrolled in an eligible job training program
- Have graduated from an eligible job training program within 12 months of the start date of your first SOMAH job training opportunity
- Live at a property that is participating in SOMAH
HeatSpring SOMAH Academy
If you don't meet any of the above job training eligibility requirements, here’s some great news!
Enroll for this free HeatSpring SOMAH Academy: Comprehensive Solar Study and gain access to a full week’s worth of online courses. Through this program, you will:
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the solar industry.
- Have flexible study time to finish the course on your own schedule.
- Have the opportunity to apply and participate in the SOMAH paid job training program.
Meet Oscar Flores, a SOMAH job trainee who landed his dream job as a solar systems engineer.
Excel Your Career While Helping the Environment
Get paid, hands-on experience and expand your professional opportunities in the solar energy industry. Explore all your options in the field as a photovoltaic (PV) installer, project designer or project manager.
The SOMAH Program is committed to ensuring that SOMAH job training opportunities pay wages comparable to industry salaries. SOMAH job trainees must be paid at either the contractor's entry level rate or 1.4x the city minimum wage, whichever is higher. If the city and the county have no mandated minimum wage, the California state minimum wage should be applied.
Eligible job trainees can sign up for SOMAH's job training opportunities.
Already signed up? Login to the SOMAH Job Training Portal.
Find Your Solar Career Path
Install system components such as:
- Electrical equipment
- DC PV system conductors
- AC PV system conductors
- Grounding and bonding
- System monitoring, control and hardware
- Battery equipment
- Ground-mounted structure
- Building-mounted system
- PV modules
Perform tasks such as:
- Assessing project sites
- Configuring mechanical design
- Configuring electrical design
- Configuring system monitoring, control and communications design
- Preparing project documentation
- Securing permits and approvals
- Adapting system design
Conduct activities such as:
- Reviewing or developing commissioning protocol
- Completing visual and mechanical inspection
- Conducting mechanical tests
- Conducting electrical tests
- Verifying system operation
- Confirming project completion
- Orienting end user to system
- Verifying system operation and performance
- Performing preventive maintenance
- Performing corrective maintenance
Become a Job Trainee
Complete Job Trainee Intake form
Update your resume and submit it to the resume bank on the portal
Start applying to positions that interest you
Use the Job Training Portal to find projects near you
Solar Career Center
Visit our Solar Career Center to learn about solar career pathways, find resume and interview tips and view testimonials from SOMAH job trainees.
Visit our Resource Library to explore various resources for job trainees.
Need support with the Job Training Portal? Check out our tutorial guide.